Need a Novel Editor? Let’s Work Together!

If you’ve written a book that needs editing, I’d love to work with you!

Getting into publishing today is harder than ever. Thousands of writers (just like you) are submitting manuscripts to publishers or uploading self-published ebooks every day.

A professionally edited novel or nonfiction manuscript gives you a leg up on the competition. It makes your work stand out. Whether you’re planning to traditionally or self publish, a professional editor is indispensable in advancing your literary career.

I work with my clients on bringing out the best in their manuscripts, identifying their strengths and weaknesses, and crafting a story that agents, editors, and readers can’t put down. You’ve put the hard work into writing your novel, but now it’s time to polish it into something better than you ever imagined.

To check out my editing services, click here. I hope we’ll be working together soon!

-Ellen Brock

74 thoughts on “Need a Novel Editor? Let’s Work Together!

1. Avery Kearbey says:

Greetings Ellen Brock,
    My name is Avery Kearbey and I have watched all or near to all of your videos on YouTube.com, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I am a starting author and have written multiple books, none of which have been published. I am very young, only in middle school, but I have an English Grade Level Equivalence of a Freshman.

I am starting a new book in the next week. It is a science fiction action-horror dystopian fiction novel similar in setting to recent popular dystopian novels such as the Hunger Games and Divergent. I will likely be done in mid-June to early July, and I am considering utilizing your services. I am new to the concept of publicizing work, though, and I would likely be incapable of setting a service of such into motion.

If you are interested, I would greatly appreciate it, but I only started typing a few days ago and nothing is certain yet. Please respond if you have any suggestions, if you are interested, or if you aren’t so I will not be checking this page constantly for an answer that is likely not to come.

Many thanks,
    Avery Kearbey.

• Ellen_Brock says:

Hi Avery,

That’s great that you are so interested in writing! Best of luck with your book!

I would be happy to work with you. I work with writers of all ages. However you will need your parents’ permission in order to make payment. If/when you’re ready, you can email me for details.

Thanks!

-Ellen

2. Sherri King says:

Hi Ellen,

Thank you for all the hard work you have done with your site, Vlogs and Twitter. I have already learned from you and I’ve yet to even contact you about your editing services (to follow, rest assured). I’m a published author and I have worked with professional editors before, but I’ve yet to meet someone so concise as yourself, so clearly knowledgeable and comfortable in her craft. I feel like you have loads to teach and look forward to more interaction in the future.

Great work!

Sherri K.

3. Delio Madison says:

Hello Ellen, i just found out about your short videos and id like to first off thank you for all the great advice!
    I’m working on my first book and am well into my 3rd chapter so far. I had found your cliches video after working on my book for a while and so i have a question. Is it ok to do these cliches by giving them a twist? like a dream being real, or having amnesia and seeing ur own reflection for the first time? or is it still considered amatuer? i dont stick to these sort of situations for long at all so thats why im curious, cause the way its all playing out is exactly the way id want it to go.
    Thanks in advance! Cant wait to see more videos from you 🙂

• Ellen_Brock says:

Hi Delio,

It really depends on the situation. It’s possible to use a twist that overpowers the fact that the opening is typically considered cliche, but there would likely still be some risk of seeming cliche unless the writing was absolutely stellar. It really comes down to whether it feels like the writer took the easy route by using the mirror, dream sequence, etc. rather than those elements being a genuine part of the story.

Hope this helps!

-Ellen

4. Julie Griffith says:

I have a question about First Page Friday. When submitting, should I put the first 500 words in the body of the email or attach it? Thanks. 🙂

5. Jutta says:

Hi Ellen,

I’m so excited to go from watching your videos and reading your advice on this website to actually working with you.

Can’t wait to get started!

Jutta

6. Lenard Basinga says:

Hi Ellen! I was currently working on a project and so I check out to check some tips and I found your videos in YouTube! And I have to say, they were great! And thank you for that! It really helped.

May I ask if I could maybe give you a sample of my first chapter and see if it works? Thank you! :))

• Ellen_Brock says:

Hi Lenard,

I’m glad my videos helped! I would be happy to do a sample edit for you, but due to the volume of interest in my services, I have to charge a small fee. You can find details under “Try Before You Buy” on my “Editing Services” page. Just as a heads up in case you do decide to hire me: unless I have a cancellation, anything longer than 50,000 words will have an August return date. Hope to hear from you soon!

-Ellen

7. Captain Jack says:

Hey Ellen. You give stellar advice.

I thought I posted a question but it didn’t show up here, so I’ll try again. Anyway, do you recommend any particular sequence in which to watch your videos to get maximum benefit?

Thanks,

Captain Jack

8. Bella loves Dragons says:

Hi Ellen,

just wanted to stop by and say thank-you for the advise you have posted on your blog and on YouTube. It has improved my writing and also proved a great motivator. I am only an amateur writer (I enjoy the process more than anything), and write for my own pleasure. But your information will hopefully make it possible for me to one day write something other people might enjoy as well :).

A big thank-you once again.
    Bella (The Netherlands)

Oh, and a little ps: I stumbled onto a little broken link on your blog. Under the category ‘Writing & Editing Advice’ (https://thewriteditor.wordpress.com/category/writing-editing-advice/), at number 6. Your Opening Chapter is Boring, Confusing, or Annoyingly Vague, the link to ‘first page edits and critiques’ does not work (there is a : missing after the http). I hope it’s ok to mention :).

• Ellen_Brock says:

Hi Bella,

Thanks for stopping by! I’m glad you like my blog and YouTube. I hope you will come back for Novel Boot Camp in July.

Thanks for letting me know about the missing link. I will look into it.

I responded to your email as well. Take care!

-Ellen

9. trazanacho says:

Ellen-
    Preparing a submission for First Page Friday. I included the text in the body of the email, but the ‘thought balloons’ which I had created in italics with half quote marks to set them off didn’t show up in italics. Tried underlining – same thing. Any suggestions? Or will the half quotes work – like this – ‘hmmmm what to do now?’ – be enough to indicate a character thinking?

You rock!

• Ellen_Brock says:

If you can’t get the formatting to show up correctly, just make a note of it in your submission so I know what you intended and can format it correctly in the blog post.

I look forward to looking over your submission!