Welcome to week three Boot Campers! It’s hump week, and we’re going to blaze over the hump with determination! (Even if our manuscripts are a little bloody by now.)
I asked participants what the workshop for this week should be and got tons of suggestions. After a lot of thought (and coffee), I decided to go with something that allowed a bit more self-direction, so that each individual can get the sort of help they need.
So without further ado, I unveil to you workshop #3:
Help Me, Help Me!
Got a question about your manuscript? A tricky scene you’re trying to write? Not sure if you’re implementing what you’ve learned correctly? Come on down and ask for help!
The Rules (follow them or else!):
- Each participant may post two requests for help. No more than that!
- Requests for help may include up to 250 words from your manuscript.
- Requests for help do not have to include an excerpt from your manuscript if not relevant or helpful.
- The total word count of the post must be under 350 words (this allows people to get to everyone rather than getting stuck on one really long post).
- Questions must be directly related to your own manuscript. No general writing, editing, or publishing questions. Most of these can be answered with a simple Google search or by reading other articles on the site.
- Please no query letters. We will be having a query letter critique the last week of the course.
- Which version of this do you like more? (Include both examples.)
- What genre is my novel? (Include a brief summary.)
- Am I successfully avoiding an info dump here? (Include an excerpt.)
- Does this dialogue sound natural? (Include an excerpt.)
- Does my villain seem cliché? (Include a description or excerpt.)
- Is this a strong description or is it too long? (Include an excerpt.)
- Any other questions that are specifically related to your novel.
I hope this workshop allows participants to get the tailored help they need.
Please don’t forget to comment on other Boot Campers’ questions. A helpful camper is a happy camper!
Connect with Other Novel Boot Camp Participants
Need a writing friend? Got a question? Need a shoulder to cry on? We’re there for you!
I will be answering writing and editing questions on our Twitter hashtag as time allows. Due to the insane volume of emails I’m receiving, I cannot provide free advice or assistance via email. Thank you!
What is Novel Boot Camp?
Novel Boot Camp is a free online novel writing course focused on identifying and correcting problems in your novel. Learn more about Novel Boot Camp and find past (and future) posts here.